COMMODITIES VIEW

Go Back   COMMODITIES VIEW > Commodity Forums > General Commodity Forum

Old May 14th, 2010, 12:01 AM

If the odds are 50/50 why do most people lose ?

1.Lets face it, you are either right or wrong, things can go in your favor or against, only 2 directions where the market can go, but why is it that most people lose far more than 50% of the time? More like 85% positions are losers 15% are winners....

2. I checked back on my performance for the past 1 month (ninja trader account thing) and for 1 month I have 57% winners, 43% winners yet I am still negative overall in performance (inc. commissions)
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:03 AM

1. commissions.

Solution: try to get the commissions that suit your trading style while not compromising level of service.

2. bigger losers than winners.

Solution: when you are winning you have to increase your size in order to make up for future losers.
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:05 AM

Most traders are risk adverse with their profits and risk-taking with their losses. I read this in Market Wizards.

Basically that means, when you have a profit, you are more apt to cut the trade short, whereas if you have a loser, you are more apt to risk your current losses in "hopes" that it will recover.

Thus, your losses will always be bigger than your profits.
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:55 PM

2 reasons:

Trading costs; slippage and commission

Money management. Few traders will bet a set amount. If you enter your trades then set stops for your exits that are an equal distance from your entry you have a 50 / 50 situation. It is a good exercise to see if your strategy has an edge big enough to beat the trading costs.
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Administrator

The market can go sideways, especially relative to your cost. If the change in price is less than the spread + commish, you lose, even if the change in price went in your favor. Changes in price against you are magnified by the spread + commish - in 100% of the cases.
Slippage has to be calculated as well, and
the only way to do this is to actually trade for real with real money and see what it costs you.
Unless you calculate what all of this does to
the alleged equity curve of that perfect system you came up with, and do this correctly and rigorously, you will lose even if your system was a "winner".
All that counts is
the net. If you can't net it, it ain't real.

Old August 20th, 2010, 05:10 AM

because of spreads and emotions.
Im Bereich Aktiendepot = [url]http://www.broker-vergleichen.de[/url] und dann gibt es noch die beiden klassier für das depot [url]http://www.broker-tabelle.de[/url] und für onlinebroker ist es [url]http://www.online-broker-vergleiche.de[/url]
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:01 AM

Read Market Wizards. I have found the enemy and he is me. Trading is hard, but not as hard as many pro port.
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Bottom line is the odds are not 50-50. You're not flipping a coin. And yes, most people sell their winners too quickly, and hold onto their losers too long.
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock View Post
Bottom line is the odds are not 50-50. You're not flipping a coin. And yes, most people sell their winners too quickly, and hold onto their losers too long.
That's the thing the odds are 50-50 if you set them up that way(most people don't, most gamble). But even 50-50 is not good enough. Trading is much tougher than that.

When to cut your loss, how to let a profit ride. How much capital to trade. When to increase the capital you use. All of these things make a great trader. Great instincts make a great trader